Monday, January 4, 2010

Page 1: FOODIE MEMOIR x 2






"Thursday, October 6, 1949
Paris

At 7 o'clock on a dreary evening in the Left Bank, Julia began roasting pigeons for the second time in her life. She'd roasted them that morning for the first time during her first-ever cooking lesson, in a cramped basement kitchen at the Cordon Bleu cooking school at 129, rue de Faubourg-St.Honore. Now she was roasting some more in the rented flat she shared with her husband, Paul, in the kitchen at the top of a narrow stairway in what used to be the servant quarters."

Julie Powell, 'Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously'


"Today on the bus a guy called me a fat bitch."

I'm standing in the kitchen folding a stick of softened butter, a cup of warmed sour cream, and a mound of fresh-shaved Parmesan into my world-famous mashed potatoes while I recount my day's activities to Fletch...and am waiting for the green beans to blanch so I can toss the whole lot with yet more butter before serving the meal.
(Footnote): I'm about a tablespoon of heavy cream away from having the National Dairy Council sponsor our dinner."

J
en Lancaster, 'Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Find Out if her Life Makes her Ass Look Big'


Reviews Tomorrow

m.

No comments:

Blog Archive