Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pleasures of Reading

Everyone knows you are supposed to read to your children to foster all kinds of good brain / education / learning attitude type things.

So, sure, Apprentice Writer read to her children, when they were little and not so little.

What very many people don't know, however, is the exquisite delight of having your children read to you.

Apprentice Writer has developed the habit of having junior apprentice writers #1 & #2 read to her from the breakfast bar as she goes about cooking the family dinner.  In this way, she is re-reading the Harry Potter books, and, at long last, the great classic 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.

It is so much fun to rediscover an old favorite through new, youthful eyes, and to be able to interpret a tale with a teenager!  Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Loni said...

That sounds just lovely. My daughter "reads" books to me sometimes, but she's three and I know she's just reciting the books she's memorized, but it's still fantastic.

M. said...

Hi Loni! Welcome to the blog. My kindergardener reads to me like that too, and I agree, it's fantastic.

Holly said...

I've always read to my kids, also, and we do a "big" read every year (a classic) it takes us months to finish). I didn't consider having them read to me. I think I'll have to start.