Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Book Blogger Appreciation Week, 2nd Edition - Day 3


Today is meme day. Play along or leave your preferences in the comments!

Do you snack while you read?

Absolutely. Tea and a piece of the latest baking venture.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

Color me horrified.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?Laying the book flat open?

Dog ears make me cringe and laying the book flat ruins the spine, so I bookmark with whatever is to hand - grocery receipts, overdue notices, elastic bands....

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Both, but my fiction-to-non ratio is about 4:1

Hard copy or audiobooks?
Just now venturing out into audiobooks. A friend swears it is the miracle incentive to exercising.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?

Used to be a chapter reader, now tend to stop at the point when I suddenly wake up again after having fallen asleep, a sign I should go brush my teeth and call it a night.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?

If the computer and trusty Dictionary.com is closeby, right away. Most recent: 'matutinal', from Georgette Heyer's 'No Wind of Blame'.

What are you currently reading?

Always have a half dozen going on simultaneously:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (lit fic, for my bookclub)
No Wind of Blame (period mystery)
Seduced by a Stranger (Gothic)
Julie & Julia (memoir)
Highland Rebel (historical romance)
Wife of the Gods (contemporary multicultural mystery)
Harry Potter #2 (with my son)


What is the last book you bought?
The Flower Poet from A-Z

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
At breakfast, after everyone else is shipped off to school or work, and as last thing in the day.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
It's all good!


Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Yann Martel, Jasper Fforde, Loretta Chase, Lindsey Davis, Margaret Atwood, Lawrence Hill


How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
Any way they stack neatly under my bed, so usually by size.

3 comments:

jspeyton said...

Most of the books you're reading now are from different genres. Did you do that on purpose? I ask because I also read more than one book at a time, but I always try to pick books from different genres. More variety. :)

www.whosabiblioaddict.com

P.S. No dog-ears are underlining... you must have horrified at my answers! Lol.

M. said...

jspeyton - welcome! always great to see a new commenter at AW.

Yes, actually, that was kind of on purpose - I have a low boredom threshold and need the different kinds of 'feel' to stay interested. I read all over the place, there are great stories and great authors in all kinds of genres.

Jenners said...

I do dog-ear ... sorry for your pain! And I've done the fall asleep while reading thing ... nothing like a book falling into your face to wake you up! And I could never remember and keep track of that many books at once! Amazing!

Blog Archive